Saturday, December 01, 2007

Jingle Bell Run/Walk for Arthritis


It was cold this morning. I mean, low 20's with a windchill factor in the 'teens. So I bundled myself up, secured my jingle bells to my shoes and headed downtown along with 1,500 other runners and walkers, dogs and little kiddies. Santa hats and elves hats were everywhere!
.
The horn sounded at 10am but there was no starting line (and no chips) and mass confusion at the start so I didn't know when to start my watch. Oh well, I thought to myself. Fun run. Fun run. Fun run. But the competative side of my brain took over and knew I'd be slightly dissapointed in myself if I didn't finally break 30:00. I got tagngled up in a group of three baby strollers whose mothers had lined themselves up with the front runners at the 3rd row. Geesh. Fun run. Fun run. Fun run. I got out of the congestion eventually and hit the first mile marker in 9:23. When I came across mile two in 18:30, I knew this was going to be the day. All I had to do was hang on.
.
My lungs were screaming from the cold and I blew snot bubbles practically the entire way but I came across that finish line in 29:01 feeling strong, a full 1:45 faster than I ran it last year. I smiled at the volunteer who took my bib and handed me a bottle of water. I felt fantastic but looked like hell - my face was beet red and I'm sure I had dried snot all over my face. And I wonder why I never seem to meet the man of my dreams at these things! I found a place on the sideline and cheered on the other runners as they came through the finish shute, just happy to be around other runners again. I send a text to my BIL to tell him how fast I was. He wrote back Awesome! How do you feel? to which I replied Now I know what it must feel like to be a Kenyan.
.
Erm. Not quite.
.
What a fantastic way to spend a December morning!

6 comments:

Running Ragged said...

The starting line was a bit confusing, wasn't it?!

The strollers were a bit annoying, but you gotta give them credit for being out there. I saw more male stroller runners than females though. I thought that was great.

I was a tad bit slower than you 32:18, but like you, I felt like a Kenyan too! ;)

You know, one of these days we'll have to get together! lol

Greg Johnson said...

Kate,

Congrats! on your run. You did great.

gaj

Bill Carter said...

Great time! That is just the most amazing thing when you see that you are actually improving.. you are getting faster and not slower. Probably makes you want to call that cardiologist and tell him a thing or two.
Good for you, Kate.

Nancy said...

STELLAR!! I hate that beginning traffic.

Way to hang on. Just a wee bit jealous here :D

GB said...

Hahaha SWEETNESS! You broke 30... and you ROCK, Kate!

P.O.M. said...

Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeet!!!!
Congratulations!