Sunday, February 11, 2007

Week from hell

Alright. I'm just going to level with you here. It's been one hell of a bad week. Somehow I managed to get most of my miles in but I have to write this all out, lest I forget and beat myself up later for not running all of the miles on my schedule.

Here goes..

Sunday: This is my normal rest day so I wasn't too concerned about missing any runs when I had a major emotional meltdown. I prefer not to elaborate on the details but it was a long time coming and I still don't think I've quite worked it all out yet, even a week later. What I have learned from this is that it's very hard for me to keep on my running schedule when I'm depressed. Moving on.

Monday: Still wallowing around in my emotional crisis. Went home a popped a couple percocet (they are legit, prescribed for my root canal. The pain probably wasn't so bad as to warrant narcotics on Monday and for this I'm not proud but it's just been that kind of week).

Tuesday: Major snow storm hit my little corner of the world so I decided to run on the treadmill at work. 3.5 miles, easy. Then I got in my car to drive home. 4.5 hours later, I finally got there. That's right. It took me 4.5 hours to cover what normally takes 35 minutes. Enter emotional breakdown #2. I was stuck in snowy awful traffic that didn't move for hours with pain in my jaw so intense I started crying and laughing hysterically at the fact I didn't have any ibuprofen with me.

Wednesday: You know you're having a bad week when the good part of your week is a root canal. Luckily, I got the gas which was FUN. So yes, the root canal was the highlight of my week. Me, being the stupid person I am, left the entodontists office and went across the street to the gym to get my 2 miles in. I almost fell of the damn treadmill because I was still sort of loopy from all the gas and such, but dammit I did it.

Thursday: rest day. All drugged up on Tylenol #3 and feeling like crap.

Friday: 3.5 miles at the gym. I had a weird dizzy spell somewhere around mile 2 and had to stop and actually sit down while the world stopped spinning. I'm really hoping this is residue of the root canal because I can't take something else going wrong with my body. I just can't.

Saturday: It actually warmed up a little to the low 20's so I decided to break out the Under Armour and hit the trails. The first mile was rough. It was freaking freezing, colder than I expected. I was running so slow I'm sure walking would have been faster. Finally around mile 2 I started feeling better but my muscles were still so tight. When I got to my half way turn around point, I stretched out a little bit, thinking it would do me good but it only made me colder and tighter. Then at mile 3, I had to go to the bathroom. And bad. I thought about squatting in the woods but this is me we're talking about and knowing my luck, my ass would get frozen to a tree or something. So I deiced to keep going but running only made it worse so I had to walk a lot of mile 3 and half of mile 4. I ran the last mile and a half, unable to feel most of my body, really needing to get to a toilet and not really caring that my coveted Saturday long run was a total bust. This whole flipping week has been a bust.

Sunday: Rest day. And it's a good thing too because I think I'm on the verge of a kidney stone. Good thing I have some of that Tylenol #3 left over from my root canal.

Total miles for the week: 14 (should have been 18)

Here's to a better week ahead.

1 comment:

GB said...

Oh man what a week. From hell indeed. I can't believe you attempted to run immediately after the root canal! WAY too hard core! Sounds like you need a little break. I understand not wanting to run when feeling down because running is so mental. If your head and heart aren't in the game, running just kind of stinks. Take it easy and be nice to yourself. I hope you feel better all the way around soon!