Sunday, March 04, 2007

Why I run

I've had plenty of time over the last few weeks to mope about the house and complain about the aches and pains going on all over my body. To say I feel old and decrepit is an understatement, but pretty accurate, nonetheless.

I've been difficult to deal with, moody and tired.

Sometime last week, I don't know when, I decided I'd had enough. Puttering around the house and eating the entire contents of my refrigerator is not normally how I deal with things. It was time to take charge and resume my life that had been put on hold for only God knows what. On Saturday, I jumped into my Under Armor determined to run a mile. No. Matter. What. A mile is a mile is a mile. I've done it thousands of times. Surely I wasn't going to let a little "back pain" get in my way.

The air was chilling, snow blowing sideways into my face. I didn't care; it felt glorious. I made it to the mile turn-around-point and decided to run back, even though earlier I had promised myself I only had to run a mile. I felt too good to stop. I turned my face up to the sky and let the snow hit my face.

This is why I run, I remembered.

In the next few posts, I would like to share with you, anyone who cares enough to read, the reason I've decided to run a marathon. Maybe it will inspire another victim to reclaim their body, their hearts, their spirits and join us out there on the road. If running is a metaphor for life, then running a marathon is my metaphor for overcoming.

2 comments:

JOJIT said...

Good job getting out there and running in cold weather.

It would be nice if you could post the readons as to why you are running the marathon cause I am running my 1st on December, too. I'm sure you'll be an inspiration to people like me. Laters!

GB said...

Very nice post! Glorious is a good word to describe those epiphanies while running. I'm glad you got out there, even in the snow. Good for you! Looking forward to reading about your marathon motivations.