Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Freaking

Alright. So I'm a little nervous. I'm a little edgy. I'm a little obsessed. I keep shouting "4 DAYS!" to my coworkers in the middle of conversations entirely not about running or the marathon or any sort of physical activity whatsoever. But that's normal, right?

I'm about to be disciplined at work because I check the weather forecast every 18 seconds on company time. I keep staring at the course map, imagining myself running through all of the mile markers.

Today during my 3 mile run, I "practiced" crossing the "finish line" at the end. I threw my arms up in the air and smiled, crying "I did it! I did it!" to the heavens and the high school cross country team that was blowing past me. I have to say, my finish line victory looked pretty impressive, but that was after only 3 miles. Don't know how impressive I'll look trying to do that after 26.2 miles.

9 comments:

Running Ragged said...

I read your post to my husband; he and I got a big chuckle out of it because I am running around like that as well, in a marathon daze!
I have to admit though I did not do the victory finish as you did during my 3 miler today. It was on my mind though. lol

You'll have to let me know your bib number so I can look for you on Sunday! :) I am going to the expo Friday after work to get my number...I am so excited!!!

Amy@RunnersLounge said...

While I am not in the middle of a marathon, I also laughed with you from this post!

I have been there so many times when you want to shout to your coworkers - "I really don't care because I have much more important things to think about now...for heaven's sake ...it is my marathon."

It's a lost cause to concentrate or get work done...just fake it until you make it to the weekend.

And for the practicing...is now only the first time? :} I think I practiced for 2 months straight - can't disappoint the fans, right?!?

Keeping good thoughts for you,

Amy
http://blog.runnerslounge.com

Bill Carter said...

Kate

I have been called obsessive myself and can't imagine why. On the other hand, I am usually doing all the things you are doing right now before every race I have ever done. OK, I guess we might be a little on the obsessive side. We runners tend to be wired a little differently than our non running friends, but it is never more evident than the days leading up to a big race. Hang in there.

Nancy said...

Look on the bright side, visualization is a very good thing, something many top athletes do and you are doing it when you look at the course and see yourself running each mile. You are a born winner!!

Hang in there. You'll have my club if anything comes up. :D

Ian said...

I totally practice finishing when I run. I always imagine myself coming down the final chute with throngs of people on either side cheering me on.

Andria said...

I love that you yelled "4 DAYS" at your co-workers! That's totally something I would do, but hopefully they don't think you are too crazy.

I often daydream of the moment crossing the finish line, Im glad that you actually practiced it. You are going to do so great!

Nancy said...

http://ask.skybus.com/about/where-we-fly.shtml

Unfortunately, no Skybus action to Des Moines. Do you have miles with them?? Darn. Well we have lots of time to plan. :D

I'm so excited for you on Sunday. Stay well.

Midwest said...

I am doing exactly the same thing.

P.O.M. said...

ahhhhhhhhhhhh - take a deap breath. relax. YOu are going to do great! All of us are obsessive. So while your coworkers may think you're "odd," don't fret. We all understand you.


Good luck!