Saturday, October 20, 2007

Here we go!

It's hard to believe it was a little over a year ago that I sat my family down and told them of my intentions to run the Columbus Marathon on October 21st, 2007. The day seemed so distant and I had no idea how fast it would sneak up on me.

I've learned many things in those 12 months. I've learned how to push myself to the limit and when to back off. I've learned patience and persistence. I've learned the power of positive thinking and how to pee in the woods. I've learned that I will probably always be an odd-ball amongst my peers and I'm learning to accept that.

Training these last few months has lead to some great runs with my dad and my BIL and I treasure the love and camaraderie found in a place I never expected.

But aside from the mental and physical benefits gained over the last year, I've grown closer to God each time I put on my running shoes. I abandoned the ipod long ago and instead turned my runs into a very prayerful experience.

I don't know what will happen between mile 1 and mile 26 tomorrow. But I do know that I've worked very hard to get to that starting line. The marathon has been on the forefront of my mind every day for the last year and I'm going to go out there tomorrow and give it everything I've got.

Thank you to all my BRF's who have left me such inspiring comments, motivation and tips over the last few months. I will carry all your good vibes with me and I'll see you on the other side!

3 comments:

Nancy said...

Awesome Kate. I'm so glad you've made it to the start. What an amazing journey. Enjoy it and let your training take over. I regret that my feet didn't cooperate enough to be doing the full with you, but I'll be doing the half and still feeling like I have come a long way. Best of luck. I'll be thinking about you.

Trey said...

Kate,
Good luck. I first ran across your blog this past week in a Runner's World discussion for the Columbus Marathon. I'm running too, for my seconed marathong, 1st Columbus. You've done a nice job on your blog and inspired me to start my own: treysjourney.blogspot.com.
Good luck today!

GB said...

I hope you had a great race today, Kate. You did all the work and I'm sure you felt good out there. I'm looking forward to reading your race report.

I think it's so wonderful that you consider your running time as your prayer time. God hears you!

Rest and recover!