Saturday, November 03, 2007

Back to regularly scheduled programing

This is the first Saturday in....in.....uhhhhh.....I honestly cannot remember the last time I haven't done a long run on a Saturday morning. Last week (wedding) doesn't count since the whole weekend was just about as exhausting as any long run. Last night I did not eat spaghetti and I did not drink gallons of water and I did not lay out my running clothes and prepare my fuel belt and go to bed early. No no! I ate a pizza and drank DIET COKE and watched a movie and still fell asleep early but dang it! I slept in this morning and it was heavenly.

But now? Now, I'm puttering around my house thinking about how I really should clean the place and I really should go to the grocery store and I really should run all those errands I've been putting off for the last 18 weeks. But I just can't be bothered. I'm taking this day off completely from my life.

I've ran about 12 miles this week with no pain and minor sluggishness, but ultimately I feel pretty good. With my new found abundance of free time, I've caught up with friends and family who put up with my running schedule for so long. I figure I (and they) have earned a little break so I'm taking it and refusing to feel guilty about it. I'll do my "ordinary running" (thanks, Runner's Lounge for coining the term) for the rest of the year, ideally keeping my mileage at 25-30 miles per week. Then in January I'll start 1/2 marathon training for the Capital City Half Marathon on April 12th.

Good things to come, I hope! Happy miles...

2 comments:

Bill Carter said...

The normal life huh?? I can't wait to get back to that. Honestly, I think that one hour after Richmond I am going to straighten up and become a normal person. Consume copious amounts of alcoholic beverages in D.C. (going there for 2 days after the race)and eat some real food for once.

Live it up for a while... you certainly deserve it.

Andria said...

Good for you for taking the day off. You deserve the break.