Thursday, January 17, 2008

Plateau

I've hit The Wall. The weightloss wall, that is. I lost those annoying 20lbs pretty quickly in the months following the marathon, even with Christmas and Thanksgiving shoved in there. But now? The scale hasn't moved in about 4 weeks and I'm both running and eating well. It's extremely annoying.

So, anyone have any advice for overcoming this? I don't want to run any more miles than are on my schedule for fear of injury (bum foot) but I'm not opposed to doing more cardio if need be. I could throw in another day of weight training (doing that 2x a week now) but I have a hunch the problem and solution lies with my eating habits. I *think* I'm eating well but I have no real record or proof. How many calories should I be eating a day anyway? I rarely eat fast food or cheesy poofs or other junk that will send me to an early grave. But maybe I'm not being careful enough. I still have some excess tonnage I want to get rid of before summer. Grr!

4 comments:

Christine said...

Try drinking 4.0 L of water a day. That way you aren't taking away...or having to run on that bum foot...but it might help get some of that weight off. Being completely hydrated makes you eat less too! Good luck!

Trey said...

Also, try 5-6 smaller meals/snacks a day. The Body for Life method. Make sure you're taking in protein within 20 minutes after your workouts or you'll lose 50% of the benefit. Think of what it takes to start a fire from scratch vs. just throwing some kindling on it to keep it going. Its easier to keep it going. You body and metabolism works very similar. In the morning you have to build the fire, but the small meals through the day keep it burning and keeps your metabolism up and you burn some more calories.

Lynn-e said...

Are you writing down what you eat? Try doing that - in a notebook or online with Fitday.com. It might help you see where you can make some changes.

Also, I've heard of a method where you eat a lot one day and the next, you eat a lot less...supposedly this makes your body 'wake up'? If you google plateau, you should find something about it.

Good luck! I can relate - it sucks!

Bridgette said...

You should mix up your workout. The body is completely adaptable & amazingly gets used to doing things. Maybe you could run your normal route backwards (so that the hills come at different places) or bike instead of run 1 day at the gym...

Do I sound credible? I totally just hijacked what I heard somebody else say at the rec ctr. :)